Gov’t unveil toll plans for three harbour crossings
One of its plans is to implement a fixed toll at Western Harbour Crossing.
The government unveiled toll plans for three road harbour crossings in the city to rationalise cross-harbour traffic and alleviate congestion at such crossings.
One of its plans is to implement a fixed toll Western Harbour Crossing (WHC) upon its takeover on 2 August.
The government will lower the fixed toll for private cars using the WHC to $60 and slightly increase Cross-Harbour Tunnel (CHT) and Eastern Harbour Crossing (EHC) tolls to $30.
The move will narrow the toll differences for private cars among the harbour crossings, reduce detours, and relieve the pressure of traffic congestion at the CHT and EHC.
Cross-harbour taxis, meanwhile, will be charged an all-day fixed toll of $25. Tolls for other vehicle types will remain unchanged.
The government also plans to implement time-varying tolls at the three harbour crossings within this year” peak time, normal time, and off-peak time slots.
The toll for private cars at peak time slots for the WHC is $60, whilst that for the CHT and EHC is $40.
The government will charge private cars using all the harbour crossings $30 during the normal time slot and $20 throughout the off-peak time slots.
The government will also put in place a transition charging arrangement between time slots to bridge them in an orderly manner and ensure road safety. Between any of the two-time slots, tolls will gradually increase or decrease every two minutes.
Here are more details about the toll plan:
- The toll for motorcycles is set at a level of 40% of the toll for private cars, between $8 and $24.
- Cross-harbour taxis will continue to be charged an all-day fixed toll of $25.
- Other commercial vehicles, including goods vehicles and buses, can expect to pay an all-day fixed toll of $50.
- On Sundays and general holidays, the toll for private cars during the normal time slot, which runs from 10:15 am to 7:15 pm, will be $25 for all harbour crossings. For the remaining hours, the toll will be $20.
- The toll for motorcycles during such times is also set at a level of 40% of the toll for private cars.