News
SHIPPING & MARINE | Staff Reporter, Hong Kong
view(s)

Total port cargo sank 1% to 68.7m tonnes

Inward and outward cargo both declined.

In a report, the Census & Statistics Department announced that total port cargo throughput dropped 1% year-on-year to 68.7 million tonnes in the second quarter of this year, and within this total, inward port cargo recorded virtually no change at 40.7 million tonnes, while outward port cargo dropped 1% to 28 million tonnes.

For the first half of this year, total port cargo throughput decreased 2% year-on-year to 131.2 million tonnes. Within this total, both inward and outward port cargo dropped 1% to 76.3 million tonnes and 3% to 54.9 million tonnes.

Within port cargo, seaborne cargo decreased 7% year-on-year to 46.5 million tonnes, while river cargo increased 15% to 22.2 million tonnes in the second quarter.

Within inward port cargo, imports increased by 4% in the second quarter year-on-year to 20.8 million tonnes while inward transhipment dropped 5% to 19.9 million tonnes.

For outward port cargo, exports increased by 5% to 8.7 million tonnes while outward transhipment dropped 3% to 19.4 million tonnes.

Within port cargo, seaborne cargo dropped 6% in the first half of 2013 compared with a year earlier to 89 million tonnes, while river cargo was up 8% to 42.3 million tonnes.

Within inward port cargo, imports rose 3% to 37.6 million tonnes, while inward transhipment dropped 4% to 38.6 million tonnes. For outward port cargo, exports increased 1% to 17.8 million tonnes while outward transhipment decreased 5% to 37.1 million tonnes. 

Do you know more about this story? Contact us anonymously through this link.

Click here to learn about advertising, content sponsorship, events & rountables, custom media solutions, whitepaper writing, sales leads or eDM opportunities with us.

To get a media kit and information on advertising or sponsoring click here.